Serena's older sister, Venus, was going for her own piece of history on Saturday, when she had a chance to become the oldest Grand Slam champ in the open era of women's tennis.
Federer, three weeks shy of turning 36, is now 7-1 in head-to-head matches against Cilic, who beat Federer in the U.S. Open semifinals in 2014 on his way to his only major title.
Federer pounced again with a break for 4-3 and wrapped up the one-sided final with a second serve ace to complete his coronation after just 1hr 41 minutes. I challenged myself every day mentally because I knew if I ever allowed myself to go to that space in my head it was over. But look at the other statistics and one will appreciate the stupendous nature of this victory.
It was a sad end to the Championships for a player who had arrived looking in good enough form to win it. There is some suggestion that we will not see Djokovic again this year, which though sad for his fans and tennis in general, would likely be a wise choice.
"He's a hero", Federer said of his opponent. They are all part of it. It is his variety of qualities that sets him apart, and perhaps, sets him on the road that slopes most gently into time.
Courtesy of Opta, here are some of the best.
Federer then served up two love service games before claiming the opener 6-3 off a Cilic double fault, the Croatian's second of the final.
- Murray failed to reach the Wimbledon semifinals for the second time in the last nine years.
"It's not so easy to win five straight matches (in Masters and lower tournaments)".
"I am not 25 anymore". He won the Australian Open in January. "Since I lost the finals here, I wanted to change that". He has been eliminated in the first round in six of the 13 times he has played the tournament.
By notching an unmatched eighth Wimbledon spoil, and his 93rd career title, Federer wound back the clock to the halcyon days of 2009 - the last season he annexed multiple majors.
A lot has changed in the years since Federer clinched his first grand slam trophy at Wimbledon.
There are few players more self-assured on the ATP Tour, but even Federer hadn't dared dream of this. Not that his greatness was in any doubt.
But the 37-year-old American couldn't get past 23-year-old Garbiñe Muguruza in the final. I came thinking, 'I'm prepared, I feel good.' During the tournament and the matches, I was feeling better and better.
Muguruza was later was shown her name on the list of champions in the stadium's lobby.
"They can choose not to play that way, if the coach has taught them to play differently".
- No female player recorded more aces than Konta (35) at this edition of Wimbledon. In many minds, it cemented Federer's spot atop the hill.
- Trump amenaza con sanciones si Maduro impone Asamblea Constituyente
- Se derrumbó parte del techo del Abasto Shopping — Casi una tragedia
- EXCLUSIVE: Chelsea refuse to be dragged into bidding war for Alvaro Morata
- Arsenal target to demand move, £90k-a-week agreement in place
- "Messi es un jugador único" — Valverde
- Oposición venezolana convoca a paro cívico nacional de 24 horas
- "Game of Thrones" marca un nuevo récord de audiencia — VENEZUELA
- Can we just not with the bathroom bill?
- Dos muertos en el socavón del Paso Exprés de Cuernavaca
- Enel informa que han restablecido el 98% suministro eléctrico