Samantha Bloom, mother of 20-year-old James Alex Fields Jr. Virginia state troopers were killed when a helicopter patrolling the scene crashed outside of Charlottesville. The vehicle plows through crowd, sending people flying into the air.
Charlottesville City Manager Maurice Jones and Mayor Mike Signer had a similar message. At least 15 other people were wounded, and three other men were arrested on assorted charges related to protest violence.
Before the rally could even begin, neo-Nazis, white nationalists and other far-right figures began brawling with large numbers of anti-racism protesters in the streets of the college town.
"The hate you hear around you, that is the anti-white hate", Jason Kessler, a spokesperson for Unite the Right, said among a chorus of boos.
Protesters gathered to hear speakers and then marched peacefully downtown, chanting and waving signs and banners.
I would recommend you take a good look in the mirror & remember it was White Americans who put you in the presidency, not radical leftists. "And to begin healing as a community".
President Donald Trump said hate and division have no place in America.
The statue was of Robert E Lee, a general who fought in the American Civil War over 150 years ago.
He added: "People are dying and I do think it is now on the president and on all of us to say, enough is enough".
But he faced criticism for not specifically calling out the white supremacists or citing the car crash.
Republican Senator Cory Gardner said: "Mr. President - we must call evil by its name".
Organizer Todd May said the rally will give area groups a chance to become part of the national conversation on racism.
"Condolences to the family of the young woman killed today, and best regards to all of those injured, in Charlottesville, Virginia.
Virginia Gov. Terry McAuliffe released a statement on the deaths Saturday evening, saying that he and his wife, Virginia First Lady Dorothy McAuliffe knew Cullen and Bates personally from their time flying the pair across Virginia and serving on their "Executive Protective Unit", respectively.
- Gonzalo Jara: "La oportunidad de partir a Boca Juniors no está cerrada"
- Esperan un buen número de votantes — PASO
- Un empujón que puede costarle caro a Cristiano Ronaldo
- Trump asegura que la solución militar contra Corea del Norte está lista
- Rafa Márquez se queda sin cuentas de banco
- Parlamento iraní votará plan contra 'aventurismo' de EEUU
- Los mensajes de apoyo al piloto accidentado — FuerzaMauroGiallombardo
- Ataque aéreo en Afganistán mata a altos mandos del Estado Islámico
- 18 detenidos en Venezuela por asalto a base militar
- Lazio supera 3-2 a Juventus y gana la Supercopa de Italia