Major League Baseball unveiled its 2018 schedule, with a full slate of games scheduled to take place on Opening Day on March 29 - the earliest starting date in the sport's history, excluding international openers.
All teams will play on opening day for the first time since 1968, the last year before the American and National Leagues split into divisions, the commissioner's office said Tuesday.
The early start date stems from a provision in the new collective bargaining agreement that calls for three to four additional off days to be spread throughout the season.
Opening Day features eight divisional matchups among the 15 games, in addition to an interleague contest between the Detroit Tigers and host Pittsburgh Pirates.
In addition, March 29 represents the earliest start to a major league season - apart from some scattered games held overseas. The Yankees will open at Toronto for the first time since 2003; Cincinnati fans will see their "traditional opener" played once again on the actual first day of a season; and there will be a couple of early rivalry matchups in Giants at Dodgers and Astros at Rangers. Previously, ESPN aired a Sunday Night Baseball game leading into the All-Star Break, which led to travel issues for players on the teams in that game.
The final day of the 2018 regular season features 12 divisional games on September 30, including the Yankees visiting the rival Boston Red Sox. In the past, both the Wednesday and Thursday following the All-Star Game have been dark, with the full schedule resuming on Friday. There will be an international game after Opening Day, however, as the Minnesota Twins and Cleveland Indians will play a two-game series at Hiram Bithorn Stadium in San Juan, Puerto Rico, on April 17-18. The Twins will host the games, which will mark the first regular-season action on the island since the New York Mets faces the then-Florida Marlins in 2010. Clubs will again play 19 games against division opponents (76 total games) and either six or seven contests vs. nondivisional league opponents in home and home series (66 total games).
- Zidane said my left foot was best since Messi — Asensio
- París presiona a Caracas para que reanude el diálogo con la oposición
- Las Águilas donarán la taquilla contra Chivas a los afectados por sismo
- Anuncian reinicio de diálogo entre gobierno venezolano y oposición
- Argentina perdió en voley ante República Dominicana
- ONU aprueba sanciones contra Corea del Norte
- Qualcomm's takes a subtle shot at Apple, gets its facts wrong
- Capturado alias 'el quesero' presunto testaferro de las Farc
- Amplia movilización en huelga general contra reforma laboral — Francia
- Los residentes de Florida huyen en masa — Huracán Irma